As the world grapples with the COVID-19 pandemic, hand hygiene has become more important than ever. Constant washing and use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers have become habitual for many of us. However, as crucial as it is for us to keep our hands clean, it is equally vital to keep them moisturized and hydrated.
Many people have been experiencing rough and dry hands due to frequent hand washing. As a result, it is crucial to find ways to keep your skin supple and moisturized. In this article, we will uncover the secret to soft and supple hands with proper hand hygiene.
Why is Proper Hand Hydration Important?
Dry hands are not only uncomfortable, but they can be very painful when cracks appear. The cracks can cause skin irritation and hinder daily activities such as typing, writing, and doing household chores. Keeping your hands moisturized and hydrated can help prevent this.
Furthermore, washing your hands frequently, as recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO), can strip your skin of its natural oils, which act as a barrier to environmental elements such as cold weather, harsh soaps, and detergents. Keeping your hands hydrated can help to maintain this protective barrier and prevent further damage.
How to Keep Your Hands Hydrated
1. Moisturize Your Hands Regularly: The best way to keep your hands hydrated and prevent dryness is through frequent application of hand moisturizers. Choose a moisturizer that contains ingredients such as glycerin and dimethicone, which help retain moisture in the skin. Apply moisturizer after washing your hands, and before bedtime for optimal results.
2. Wear Gloves: In addition to moisturizing, wearing gloves can help prevent further damage to your hands. It is especially important to wear gloves when doing activities that require your hands to be in constant contact with water, such as washing dishes or cleaning.
3. Avoid Hot Water: Washing your hands with hot water can be very drying for the skin. It is recommended to use lukewarm water instead, especially when washing your hands for an extended period.
4. Use Gentle Soaps: Choose a soap that is gentle on your skin and does not contain harsh chemicals that can strip your skin of its natural oils. Avoid soaps that contain fragrances or dyes, as these can further irritate your skin.
What to Look for in Hand Moisturizers
When choosing a hand moisturizer, look for products that contain ingredients such as:
1. Glycerin: Glycerin is a humectant that can help to draw moisture to the skin and keep it hydrated.
2. Dimethicone: Dimethicone is an emollient that can help prevent water loss in the skin, keeping it moisturized.
3. Shea Butter: Shea butter is a natural skin moisturizer that helps to soften and smooth the skin.
4. Aloe Vera: Aloe vera has soothing properties that can help to relieve dry, irritated skin.
5. Ceramides: Ceramides are naturally occurring lipids in the skin that help to maintain the skin’s protective barrier. Hand moisturizers that contain ceramides can help to maintain this barrier and prevent further damage.
In conclusion, proper hand hydration is essential for maintaining soft and supple hands. Dry hands can be uncomfortable, painful, and can hinder daily activities. With the frequent hand washing and use of hand sanitizers, it is vital to keep your hands moisturized and hydrated.
By incorporating regular use of hand moisturizers and gloves, avoiding hot water, and using gentle soaps, you can maintain proper hand hydration and protect your hands from further damage.
Remember to choose hand moisturizers that contain ingredients such as glycerin, dimethicone, shea butter, aloe vera, and ceramides, which can help to keep your hands soft, supple, and moisturized.
So take care of your hands and unlock the secret to soft and supple hands with proper hand hydration today!